Sunshine makes me happy

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Where and when I sorta wish I was right now...

I was sitting here doing my thermo homework when, of a sudden, I thought of my trip to Sleeping Bear dunes this summer and I really wish I was there right now. It's hard to convey the scale of those dunes without bringing somebody there; I'll just say...miles and miles of dunes. Huge rises and dips, every peak reached bringing a brand-new vista, uncountable stalks of dunegrass swishing as wind from lake Michigan coasts through...and better yet, there's often not another person in sight.

That visit, we watched the sunset, and then turned around and watched the moon crest the horizon just after. (It was some kind of astronomical event.) The night rolled in and the stars came out...and that far from cities, you can see stars, believe you me. Sitting atop a sand peak, the deep blue of lake michigan stretching from north to south in one direction, and an undulating sea of grass and sand around you...that's peace, to me.

Sociable creature though I can be, I'd rather be out by myself sometimes...thinking, not speaking (at least, not to other people--I do hold dialogues by myself). It's as if--once away from the house and people--my mind comes alive...I think that once I can find somebody with whom I can find that same condition, even in their company--that will be someone special.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home