Sunshine makes me happy

Thursday, October 14, 2004

stories I remember

Did anyone else read a lot of Beatrix Potter's stuff as a kid? I still love those stories...Peter Rabbit...Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle...Babbity Bumble...chamomile tea...Mr. McGregor...and fishing for sticklebacks. And the watercolor illustrations were so good...My mum has some book of hers just full of notes and studies by Beatrix...and letters...she just sketched and sketched and painted and painted...things in her garden, in the English countryside, that sort of stuff, and it's all so beautiful. I think Potter's work is right up there with A.A. Milne, although I sure read more Winnie the Pooh as a kid than Potter.

People ask me somewhat frequently why it is that I am an engineer when my favorite activities are fairly clearly drawing and writing. Well, beside the fact that it's kinda tough to make money in those areas (This is not really a limiting factor for me...) the real reason is, God led me very, very strongly to this University. LeTourneau has been, hands down, the most influential factor in my life, where I have had such a wonderful experience of spiritual growth, and met so many people I feel quite privileged to call my friends. I know it's the right place for me. But I can't study art here, and I (quite snobbishly) feel that I have no need for instruction in writing, not, at least, the story-writing I enjoy most. Therefore...Engineering it shall be, for as long as I'm at LeTourneau.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home