Sunshine makes me happy

Saturday, November 12, 2005

ZHHHHWWEEEEEEEEEEE

So today we broke out the Turbine-powered remote control helicopter.

It is pretty hardcore.

It has a little computer in charge of the Turbine (which is pretty much a real jet engine the size of a jar of peanut butter) and it more or less starts itself up. I was in charge of holding a little detachable computer that tracks the RPM and temperature of the engine during start up. So we get it going and it goes

POP

POP

SHOOM...FWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

And I watch the little display I'm holding go from 6,000 RPM up to 40,000 RPM and the temperature go from 100C to 500C in a matter of seconds and this thing is roaring, and the whole time I'm wondering when the clutch will grab and make the rotor blades choppa my head off. They didn't though. We flew it a little before we started haveing mysterious battery problems, so, we'll be working on it. It was still a pretty neat experience. The heli is huge...

edit!
Here is a linky to a video of a partial start-up of the helichopper. Right-click save as.
http://users.bluebonnet.net/~rchelicopter/letourneau.wmv

4 Comments:

  • That sounds soo cool, you need to post a picture, so I can get a better idea of how big it is and what it looks like. -Megan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:36 PM  

  • I will try!

    By Blogger James Pray, at 11:49 PM  

  • silly james with your .wmv. I can't watch it cause I have a mac, and I'm not going to download a windows product. mleh! I'll watch it at reuben's or something. - Megan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:19 PM  

  • Silly *megan* with your mac!
    <3

    By Blogger James Pray, at 1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home